Sunday, January 8, 2012

Tickled

That's what tonight's dinner made me.  I was like a 2 year old who had just learn to write their name....look what I did mom!

It was a busy afternoon of taking down the outside decorations and raking the yard.  You never quite know how bad your yard looks until you clean it up - yikes!  After the exterior activities were complete, I made my way inside.  First things first, Pandora station for Mumford & Sons, volume turned way up...check!  Bottle of red wine uncorked and glass poured....check....now we're ready to cook!

I pulled out my stock, frying and sauce pans and turned the burners on low to start heating them up.  In the frying pan I threw in some butter (seems I start every meal with butter!), shallots and mushroom.  Once they were heated up, I added some of the red wine I was drinking.  The sizzle and the smells were tantalizing.  To this lovely concoction I placed 2 of the free range tenderloin steaks we received in last weeks Full Circle delivery, turned the heat down to medium low and placed the lid on top.


To the stock pan I did pretty much the same.  Butter, scallions,  and garlic....I placed my soup bones in to sear them and the added some red wine, carrots, celery, thyme and rosemary.  It smelled so good!  I was really starting feel like a real cook.  I filled the stock pan about half way with water, placed the lid on and turned it down to low.  I let the stock cook for about 4-6 hours.


To dinner I added some mashed gold potatoes and a mixed salad with yogurt dressing.  Everything was so delicious.  I can't remember the last time I had such a tasty steak...I made "mmmmm" sounds the entire time (drove the dogs nuts)


After dinner, I pulled the chicken and vegetable stock that I made last night out of the fridge, skimmed the fat off the top and put it back on the stove to reduce.  Once that was done I put what was left in containers and placed them in the freezer.  I was so excited to have made my very first batch of stock!  Why had I never done this before?


The beef stock is finally finished and I've moved that over to it's initial cooling bowl.  This will sit in my  fridge till tomorrow night at which time I'll reduce it as well.  No freezer for this one though, as I'm planning on making a beef stew in the crock pot on Tuesday with it!  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment